Monday 30 September 2013

Don't play with fire.

At the top of the plot I have my strawberries and raspberries well 4 plants out of 12,the bed was covered in weeds and thistles and quite tall. Most of the thistles still had loads of seeds left to blow over the allotment,so I decided to burn the buggers and get rid of them. If I'd tried to pull the weeds up all the seeds would of gone all over the place ,so it was easier to burn the seeds then pull them up. I've pull all that I can and left them to dry out before I compost them,some of them did snap while pulling out so will have to dig out what I can. I'm going to remove all the bark covering the bed and leave it open to all elements,then sort out for next year might use as a flower bed. 


On the strawberry bed I weeded it again and cut back most of the plants to the new leaves,then I'm going to cover in leave mould and hope it acts like a mulch for me. Last year I covered it in leaves and it was ok apart from losing some in the wind,this year I'll cover up with a little netting to stop losing them all. 



Only harvest I did was pick a few beetroots and marrows up,some beets will be eaten and rest will be made into wine. The marrows will be made into wine as no one will eat them,so instead of wasting them i will drink them hoping anyway. 












No comments:

Post a Comment