Tuesday 2 July 2013

Holiday week

Had a few good hours down on the plot could of some with some more, but can't complain at least I got something done.Did some more weeding like I'm ever going to get to the end of it,I did have some big thistles at the other side of the polytunnel /greenhouse. What I've started to do is put all the weeds I collected on top of the leaves that are  started to rot down a little,i put some more weeds on top then put more leaves on. I did throw a lot of weeds away but when you look at them your throwing soils away as well what a waste,like last year I left it all in a pile to rot down and it did but the bees are in it now so can't use it. 


My marrow and courgettes are picking up the pace a little now,wonder if you can eat the marrow when it's small like the size of a courgette. The beetroot are started to swell up a little now,going to try and pick them early and not let them get football size. 


At the bottom of the allotment I'm  going to try and make patch to put flowers,I'm no good at flowers either saying the right name or planting them. So it's going to be a bit of hit and miss already moved some bulbs,also started to put some hedging down to separate it from the rest. 

We all want bees hanging around our plots and I've got them in a mud pile,we have also see wasps flying around a lot and some are nesting in little holes. We have seen them going in and out of holes in wood and logs, filling one end up them coming out and filling the other end up.


It's the start of taking fresh veg home and filling your face with good stuff,I took home some spuds / peas / turnips and kohlrabi got the kohlrabi given. So I had everything in a salad for my tea and dinner,also added some broad beans from the freezer I picked from the plot last year. The wife and daughter won't try the kohlrabi because they didn't like last time,so I had it all in my salad raw and grated lovely stuff.









No comments:

Post a Comment