Sunday 19 May 2013

Things are coming on.

Been nearly a week since my last post not really done a lot during the week,been busy at work and when got home Ive ended up falling asleep. The times I'd been at the allotment I've just watered,it's the first time in weeks we have had some rain well Thursday and Friday. With the rain we had for a couple of days has made the soil more workable,it's was. so nice working with some soft soil instead of rock hard boulders. 


I decided to put up some netting to protect my cabbages/ sprout / turnips and anything else i plant,last few years i  have made a small frame but then i keep raising up once thing have grown.So this year i thought I would make a bigger frame so I don't have to keep raising it, I did have in mind what I wanted but as always i change it as I go along but it seems ok up to now. I put 3 sides up with timber and metal poles then tied it together with washing line,also used some duck tape and bits of wire to finish it. The roof is just thin twine and ripped up carrier bags hanging down,don't know if this will work but i will give it ago. On the front section I have pulled the netting from either side to the middle,but it doesn't reach so I have to make a small section up to stop the birds getting in. 

With the netting up I decide to plant out a little veg,first was two rows of red cabbages and two rows of sprouts. The red cabbage are red drumhead,but with the sprouts I'd lost the name tags so forgot which ones i have . So I have either one type planted or a mixture of both,the spare ones I had I gave away  so hope the ones Ive kept do grow. I also planted a row of turnips which are golden globe,so again the spare ones I have given away. 

The last thing I planted was two rows of beetroot which had been growing the greenhouse,i also weeded among the spuds well at least I've made a start which I need to keep up with. 










No comments:

Post a Comment